Monday, October 08, 2007

On My Soapbox...


We had a good conference weekend. Some of the talks that really made me think: Bednar, Eyring, Scott, Beck, Oaks. I am anxious to read them at lds.org when they put them up on Thursday.

This morning when I opened my google reader, there was a post on Mormon Mommy Wars entitled "What I wish Sister Beck had said." What? It really doesn't matter what the blogger wrote, because from her title I can tell this woman has got her head on sideways.

I hope I don't take for granted the fact that our leaders are inspired by God to tell us what we need to hear, and not what we want to hear. If I believe they are called to lead me (in Christ's Church) by God's authority, then I believe what they say is what HE would have them say. I should not take offense. If I find myself asking: what is wrong with the speaker, that he/she made me feel uncomfortable, I'm in serious trouble. I should be asking: What's my problem?

This is what I took from Sister Beck's talk. That I can do better. I can simplify my life and focus on what is important. Although it might be unfashionable in our society, I shouldn't underestimate the power and importance of a woman at home, homemaking- nurturing, cleaning, and cooking- without apology. By the end of her talk, I was squirming in my seat a little, which made me resolve to spend less time at the computer and with my nose in inane novels, and more time harping on my kids to help me clean this place. "Sam, do you think there are dirty Scooby-doo underwear in the hallway at the temple?" You know, that sort of thing. Maybe Wacky Wednesdays at Sonic ($1.50 kid's meals full of bad-for-you items. Grilled cheese, tater tots, a rainbow of slush flavors) will have to go. We'll see. I shouldn't retrench haphazardly, or too hastily.

I know I told you Donna Reed doesn't live here, but maybe she should. Or at least she could come visit, and teach me a thing or two.

(I don't have time for getting all worked up like this. I have too much laundry to put away. Jake did all the laundry this weekend. Thanks, Jake!)

5 comments:

bionictrout said...

Weird... I helped Hailey with about 6 loads of laundry myself. Something must be in the air.

Hailey said...

It's so strange. Usually I pick up on stuff that is going to make other people in the world "freak out." But I only remember hearing the talk and thinking, "That was a good one. I can do better." People are crazy.

And the sad thing about the laundry is that there are still about 8 loads to go...

Gini said...

Way to go Jake.. with the laundry. I did not teach you that I don't think since you weren't allowed to touch the washer. Good boy.

melanie said...

Loved Sis. Beck's talk!!! Go homemakers!

Jenni said...

Right when Sis Beck said "Amen" I just knew there was gonna be an uproar over it...I loved it and thoguht it was a great reminder of what we should all be doing...but there is always someone! And can I send JOsh to come live with Jake for a while to learn all about laundry??? He about died doing his own laundry at training this summer when he went back east on his own...he does help with other stuff, but laundry is not his thing.