Friday, May 15, 2009

Album I totally forgot to listen to for 15 years but is really super great, plus look how many lizards are in my cousin's backyard! Friday


Okay, so it has been awhile since this post, eh?
And so what if it was supposed to be 10 years, crickets, and Wednesday? I refused to be tied to such conventions.

Oh, and I've already lied to you. I've listened to this quite a bit in the last 15 years (Ring was realeased in 1993). But sometimes my ipod bucks it off (my ipod is like an unbroken stallion, plus has very strong, but poor, personal tastes, apparently), and sometimes I forget to listen to it for a year or more. But then I rediscover it (like I did yesterday, because Jake fixed up my ipod as a little Mother's Day gift). And I think, WOWIE. I love this album.

Now, I honestly don't know if ya'all will know the Connells. I know they were popular mostly in the Southeast.  But I think they became one of those Mormon Kid favorites, you know what I'm sayin'? I have noticed this a little with Death Cab for Cutie, maybe, too? Am I wrong? You know how this happens? Like when  Utah was all into ska, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones end up playing The Palace (on 9th East, next to Stan's)? I mean, The Palace is where I had my awesome 90's step class EVERY DAY (is my blog, don't interrupt me), and most of the time the stage held the likes of Klaus, the sexy Austrian aerobics instructor in the tiny purple shorts, who followed me from Tuscon to Provo. Or did I follow him? Hmmm. 

What was I talking about?

Ah, yes. When I heard 74-75 on the radio for the first time, I almost wrecked my car. I didn't go home. I went straight to the nearest Wherehouse and peppered the clerk with questions until we figured out the song's identity (Note to under-15 set reading my blog (i.e. my own children): going places and asking people questions in person is like ancient, almost paleolithic version of googling). And I came home with this album. And I've loved it ever since.

Soon after, a boy named Joe from Tallahassee moved into our apartment building in Provo, and he came over and played us songs on the guitar. (Note to single men reading my blog (all zero of you): chicks dig this.) And one of those songs was Fun n' Games, from the album before Ring. And then he asked out my roommate/cousin Melanie. And I encouraged the relationship, because of his fabulous taste in music. (At the time, choice of music and footwear seemed the best rulers with which to measure potential for lasting relationships. For instance: don't even give a socks-and-Birkenstocks man your phone number. On the other hand, a boy in the right sort of Doc Martens could very possibly father your children.) And thus, Joe and Melly got married, and had 4 kids. (You can see how the Connells and I made all this happen, right?)

And Joe taught me the song on my guitar, and I wrote my own song that incorporated Fun n' Games and a historically innacurate story of the signing of the Magna Carta, entitled Runnymeade. (I have that on tape somewhere. If someone can tell me how to get that on my blog, you are in for a geeky treat!)

Anyhow, since I could only find two songs from Ring to share with you on the music player over yonder, I added Fun n' Games, from the album of the same name, and Maybe, from Weird Food and Devastation. 

Oh yeah. An there was only one lizard in cuz Melly's yard. But he was a real doozy. A little lizard/toad half-breed. Cool, eh?


Leave a comment to win the "Prada" purse next Wednesday!

Tell me about:

The Connells.
Other 90's music that is super good, to which we might be forgetting to listen.
Mormon Music Microcosm (have just coined this phrase)
Step aerobics.
Klaus. (Or other attractive foreign crushes from your past.)
Creepy natural worldly things in your yard and/or home.
(I am especially interested in poisonous things and reptiles.)

P.S. If you own any Connells music, can name that lizard, or know Klaus, please leave two comments. You totally deserve an extra shot at the purse.


36 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Guys playing guitar is so hot. (Is a huge part of Kris's appeal on Idol.)

Unfotunately, I do not know of the Connells. (Please don't take me out of the running for the purse.) I still love me some Beeswax.

InkMom said...

Um, Alphaville. I've told you this before. Seriously.

Kari said...

Hold the phone! I own one of those Joe-Kelly-&-Friends albums. Is most excellent. Are they worth a fortune yet? Should have had it signed, huh? (It was a fairly limited edition, no? Like in the single digits, maybe? Not that I'm going to run out to Sotheby's or anything--it holds great sentimental value.)

Beeswax said...

Yes, of course, Kari. If you have MY ALBUM, you also get an extra shot at purse. But who needs a purse when she just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii?

veronica said...

That lizard looks like some kind of pre-historic creature. Scary.

Melia K. said...

It's a horned toad. When I was young we called them "horny toads" because it wasn't a bad thing to say back then. And even if you can't get the taped version of the song on the blog, could you just post the words? I just finished reading multiple books on the Plantagenets and the intersection of history and comedy would be just the thing to cap it off!

Natalie said...

Wow! Look at all your followers! Do you feel pressure to post every day now? That's a daunting task.
I'm happy to hear more from you, though.
Fellas that are musical will always have the advantage. It's a fact of life. I broke up with this guy in high school and then heard him sing a song that he'd written for me at a party where his band performed and was practically begging on my knees for him to take me back. (He said :( No.) Thanks for putting the song on there. I didn't recognize it by just the title. That's a good one. I was very into Cranberries in the 90s. Their first album with Linger on it was an integral part of my adolescence. :)

Carina said...

74-75.

I saw the Connell's in concert at Salt Aire.

I also borrowed my friend Eric's tape of Ring and NEVER RETURNED IT.

I'm sad you went to Wherehouse and not Graywhale, but whatever.

La Yen said...

Oh, the step aerobics. Oh, the days. I remember having to sell my CDs for food money...And I double-think that is a horny toad.

Lizzie said...

don't have music comment, but I just spent the whole ride home from work and the last 30 minutes on youtube looking up the theme songs of shows I watched growing up....saved by the bell, zoobilee zoo, kids inc., hey dude, under the umbrella tree. totally low budget! ha

Joe said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out, Kel! I do indeed owe my blissful marriage to your cousin, Melanie, to my musical inclinations and, of course, your persistence and encouragement with Mel. A word of advise, guys - keep singing, even after you lock 'em in. They never tire of it.

Connells still rock! I have 5 of their albums - Boylan Heights, Fun & Games, One Simple Word (another escellent one), Ring, and Weird Food & Devastation (maybe a little overkill there?). A great band, tho. Remember that awesome show of theirs we saw at Club DV8 in SLC? I think even THEY were surprised at what a good show it turned out to be!

Other timeless albums:
New Order - Substance
Athenaeum - Radiance
Better Than Ezra - Friction baby
Bob Marley - Legend
Gin Blossoms - New Mis. Experience
Depeche Mode - Music For the Masses
Electronic - Electronic

I could go on and on...

The Fear Fam said...

Out here in Cali, Mormon music was all about Depeche Mode & They Might Be Giants. It wasn't a youth dance unless they played "Somebody" and "Istanbul" (and "Cotton-eyed Joe", but that's neither here nor there).

And I totally rocked my step aerobics class in college. Earned me a whole credit, baby.

Jolene said...

First few years in the 90s were all Afterglow (mission)

But post-mission was Gin Blossoms (they were local - went to Long Wongs on Mill Ave. to see them), R.E.M. and Lisa Loeb. With a little Blind Melon, Cranberries and Pearl Jam mixed in.

Wendy Hansen said...

I love your blasts through the past. And I totally like those songs even though I have never heard them. The 90's scream Depeche Mode to me for sure. Once I got married in the 90's the hub made me listen to the Housemartins quite frequently, I think that was kind of a mormon thing. And Gin Blossoms because they wer yocals.

SBrooks said...

That is a horned toad lizard! Flip hime over and rub his belly and it put them to sleep. I know, I am full of random weird tidbits

Barbaloot said...

I have never heard of that band before---but I'm enjoying them thus far. Thanks for that! And also, at your mention of 90s music I for some reason immediately thought of Frente. Can't begin to explain that one.

And finally-I don't deal well with weird/creepy things. My nephew tried to show me a work the other day and I basically ran away screaming.

Barbaloot said...

Oh, and when I was busy living in AZ I noticed a lot of kids were fans of The Format...which is not a well known band up her in Utah. So, they were like a Mesa Mormon Music Microcosm. Neat.

Anonymous said...

I was at the Connells show at ClubDV8 in Salt Lake with Joe from Tallahassee. It was over a thanksgiving and either Beeswax or Melanie was NOT there. Either Beeswax or Melanie WAS there too. I was married to neither at the time so I don't really remember. Anyway, I grabbed the set list off the stage at the end of the show and somehow ended up with a drumstick from the band as well. I think Beeswax or Melanie ended up with those items as a gift from me and a symbol of my undying love. --Beeswax Husband.

achick47 said...

Ok Ok I am way wayolder than you guys,but I loved Pearl Jam still do and I am a HUGE HUGE fan of Les Peelers from Chi town now. As to the LIZARD It is a good old TEXAS HORNY TOAD. Oh I guess I should tell you that even a Greatgrand mother can be Kewl and Mormon also. LOL
I do really enjoy your Blog. And yes guys who play guitar are way smooth.
Texas Angel age 61 and going to go up with my Greatgreatgrandkids MAYBE.

achick47 said...

Opps meant grow up then again I may not it is so fun to be young enough to play with the Babies and be able to get a good nights sleep while Mom and Dad get to do all the work.
Angel

Anonymous said...

I can hardly stand to wait until Wednesday. Just tell me now that I lost so I can move on.

You have stellar taste in music. In the 90's I rocked to Counting Crows, Live, Third Eye Blind, Bush, Everclear, GooGoo Dolls, Better Than Ezra, Pearl Jam... a lot of the alternative-grunge scene. Heard a song by Cake the other day that took me back.

We've found two salamanders in our basement. Seattle lizards trying to sneak in. Icky, but not as icky as that thing you have. Lots of thumbnail-size frogs in the backyard.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Does it count for two entries if we had Connell on a mix tape??? And a song called "You wear flowers" by Peter Breinholt which in my opinion was a "MMM". Definite Stake Dance songs were "Forever Young" by Alphaville, and "Joy and Pain" by Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock (I feel silly even typing that).

Melanie Jacobson said...

We don't really have reptiles by the beach, but the five year old next door is kind of creepy.

Cat said...

Hi, just came over from MMB and read your blog all the way to the bottom, I rarely do that... But I loved it and you gave me quite the laugh.

I knew you were nominated and that you had won the spotlight, but I was still being bitter that I wasn't nominated and stewing about it silently. To myself. Swearing revenge by not looking in on the winner. LOL

Then I as I was preparing my RS lesson on "Forgiveness" tonight, I said to myself, "Cat, you have to grow up!"

...and here I am. You totally deserved to win! You're great!

(In case you are like my husband in anyway, which I doubt you are, and you believe every word I say, I wasn't really stewing... okay, maybe a little)

Have a great weekend!

Jennifer Babbitt said...

Hey it was great to see you tonight. So, I have never heard of the Connells. We have snakes, skunks, scorpions, black widows, oh check out my blog to see the latest bug infestation. And I mean INFESTATION. Talk to you soon!!
Jen

Wendy Phelps said...

I had a horned toad as a pet growing up. I loved it. Feeding it live crickets wasn't always pleasant, but I definitely have a soft spot for the critters.

tarable said...

That is a horny toad. They are loads of fun for little kids - at least they were for me at 6 years old. Thanks for the music recommendations. I was stuck in the eighties well into the nineties, so I missed a lot of stuff.

Unknown said...

I actually really like A-Ha, which was more 80's in the U.S. but went on to be big and have, like, 8 albums in Scandinavia (the music capital of the world). Alphaville is a good one, too.

Unknown said...

It's a horny toad (although Melia beat me to it). We used to go out and catch them in my home desert of western Colorado. They have very excitable bladder-emptying mechanisms. It was just part of the fun.

Unknown said...

Is there a limit to how many comments we can leave to get the purse? I'm thinking my sister and sisters-on-law would faint from shock if I actually owned more than one purse. And that's totally worth it to me. So, what the heck!

Laura Gunn Studio said...

Holy smokes! What kind of weird genetic experiments are the whiltfields up to. Uh oh, plastic crinkling sounds. Must be trouble in the kitchen. Oh I see. That was the sound of diaper whipes. Luke is now naked, cleaning up. SOrry, thought you'd want a play by play.

pan x 8 said...

I have found that P90X trumps step aerobics!

Oh and I stopped by to let you know I gave you an award. You can pick it up at my blog!

One Sassy Mama said...

There was the hottest guy who played the guitar in college. The female population of our dorm was so in love with him because of his skills in playing and singing "More than Words". Now that I think about it..it may have been the only song he knew?
PS Toady-Liz is one sick looking science experiment

Shelane said...

we once broke down in (um, not sure, but it was really hot small town in north-ish az) when i was little and while we were sitting on the side of the road waiting for our ford econo-line van to get fixed, we hung out with one of those gila monster looking scary things.

huge.

scaly.

never having one in my home.

Lorie said...

I love those toads! So cute!

yep said...

Cool lizard.